Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Benefit of a Strong Relationship

Simon and I were having an immensely enjoyable walk this morning- sniffing about and dipping into streams. Well, maybe that better describes Simon's experience than mine. I was enjoying the scent of cedar, pine and the sea all mingled together- and watching my dog have a blast!

Rounding a corner we came across a group of folks and their three dogs. All the dogs greeted nicely- although one was a talker! I stopped and chatted a bit and then we prepared to part ways. At this point all the dogs were hanging together- Simon was closer to the others than to me. The group of people wanted to stop and get Simon back to me and I was able to tell them "Please feel free to move along, Simon will come with me, not to worry." The great, cool thing was that I was completely confident in my statement. I knew Simon would come with me and not follow the other dogs. I did not cue him to 'come', I simply indicated that we were going to walk in the opposite direction. Simon eagerly followed me. Did I take the time to reward him- you betcha! I let him know that choosing to stay with me was the absolutely greatest decision: I verbally praised him, acted goofy and gave him a small treat.

What enabled Simon to be successful, and underlying this interaction, was the strong relationship that I have developed with him. I have taken the time to get to know him and his ways. I know what he is and is not capable of. He trusts me to take care of things. I even think he enjoys hanging out with me. It is this relational foundation that makes training Simon possible. I encourage you to build a solid foundation with your dogs- all your training efforts will benefit from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment