Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Coffee Walk


Simon and I walk every single morning- rain, snow, sleet, hail- we are like the ever reliable postman. The cool thing is that I enjoy each and every one of our outings. Places that we visit often in good weather can look and feel completely different on a rainy or snowy day. We vary our routes so that both Simon and I get some mental stimulation, watching the changes in our favorite places and checking out new places. We also have different kinds of outings- nice strolls, brisk cardio-enhancing walks, running, hiking and today the coffee walk.

The coffee walk is not one I do often, but it is one of my favorite types of walk. It begins with filling up a travel mug full of rich, dark, black coffee and then choosing a place where Simon can be free of his leash- as my hands will be occupied with the travel mug! A coffee walk has no particular purpose and its pace is mellow. Simon is free to explore- taking in all the delicious smells the morning has to offer, running through the woods and following up on interesting sights and sounds. I, in turn, can let my mind wander, gaze out upon mountains or the sea or whatever else we happen to pass by. As we walk I enjoy the crispness of the day while sipping on hot coffee and the perfection that life holds in those moments. It is truly a wonderful way to start the day and I highly recommend it if you have yet to try a coffee walk. Oh, and tea is an acceptable substitute!

No comments:

Post a Comment