Sunday, October 17, 2010

When Your Dog Hurts


Simon and I were all packed and ready to head out the door for agility practice this morning when I turned around and he was limping towards me. I immediately dropped all of our gear and went to check him out. I could find nothing stuck between his toes and he did not seem to react when I moved his leg. But he has continued to limp and has little desire to move much at all this morning.

When one of my dogs is injured or does not feel well, I fret. I think this is one of the most difficult times in a life shared with dogs- they just can not tell me what is wrong! I try to do all the things that I think will be helpful and then we wait. We wait to see if things improve. We wait to see if a trip to our veterinarian is in order. I wait for my pal to feel better.

Times like this also teach me patience and how to stay in the moment. It is far too easy to allow my mind to travel to places where the worst case scenario reigns. If you have ever practiced yoga or mindfulness exercises- now is the time to put those skills to use.

Simon and I shall spend the day chillin' out and hoping for the best. Love your dogs extra today and remember to appreciate your time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment